How to fix gnome-panel item size

Hello Everybody,

I find the gnome panel's items to be too large (in height). Please see
the attached screenshot (the "Games" item, for example). I would like
to reduce the height as much as possible. I feel I should look into
the theme's gtkrc file for this. But I could not pinpoint any
particular line I should modify.

Could you please point me to the correct line to edit? Also, I feel
directly editing the theme's gtkrc file is not the right way. Is there
any file in my home directory which I should be editing so that this
change becomes theme independent?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Santanu Chatterjee