Re: What is the procedure for reporting bugs against 'broken' git commits?

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM, BugByteMan<bugbyteman yahoo com> wrote:
> Here is the comment (extracted from a bug I filed) that told me I should not
> file bugs against development versions:

> Please do not abuse the bug-tracker for getting help with problems building
> the
> development version from git. We have a mailing-list for such questions.
>
> And please use stable versions of GLib and GTK+.
>
> Note that this was a bug in a development release of an application

Thanks for the updated information.

So, are you trying to compile the latest GIMP for testing/debugging purposes?
If so, then you are supposed to perform the subsequent steps in order
to identify where/how the bug happened.
You have the full source code, you can enable debugging information
and can identify the exact change in the git commit that caused to
bug, possibly with the fix.

However, from the bug report it appears that you may also simply want
to compile GIMP for your personal use, without going through the
procedure to debug any issues.
In this case, you indeed select the released versions of the modules
(glib, gtk+, gimp, etc), and report any bugs on those.

Finally, your post is somewhat anonymous ('bugbyteman'). It helps to
put a real name, especially since you already have 5 GNOME points in
the GNOME Bugzilla.

Simos