Re: question about gnome

On 2 Jan 2009, at 16:30, jonathan wrote:

I am new to the list. I am a blind linux user and was wondering with
gnome and the orca screen reader I have noticed with diffrent distro's
that they will have orca set up to work and some distro's do not have
orca setup. could gnome make sure that the orca screen reader is working
before diffrent distro's package gnome for their distro?

That's really up to individual distros, each of whom are entirely responsible for deciding whether to enable accessibility features in a default installation. You'd have to ask each one individually about their decision.

(As I'm sure you're aware, though, many of the major distros do have a variant available that's tailored to accessible installation and usage, so things are somewhat better than they used to be.)

if not could some one tell me if i could take the latest build of gnome and make sure that orca is working and take out some of the programs that a blind user
would not need and then package it for diffrent distro's. thankyou for
your time and help.

We've certainly discussed enabling accessibility features by default in stable GNOME releases, and I don't think anyone really disagrees that it's something we should aim for. Unfortunately, certain accessibility features do cause some notable performance issues for people who don't use them, and until those are addressed, it's always been decided to make accessibility an opt-in rather than an opt-out feature by default. Not ideal I know, but that's why things are the way they are today-- the good news is that GNOME accessibility seems to be attracting more attention (and developers) than ever these days, so people are working on those issues.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team