Re: Feature idea/request

On 24 Dec 2008, at 15:11, chriswyattuk wrote:

Hi, I was thinking wouldn't it be nice to create tabs from windows. I had a bunch of chat windows and I was thinking it would be great to say, just be able to just to drag one onto the titlebar of another and group the windows together with tabs. The functionality could be built in to GNOME. Another
way you could do this is by selecting windows on the task bar and
right-clicking and selecting an option. This would be great if you had too many windows open and you wanted just to group some together, and they could
easily be dragged back out again if need be.

What you're describing is a tabbed window manager, something many of the GNOME usability folks have suggested in the past, but it hasn't got off the ground so far-- not least because window managers are hard to write, I guess. (But also because we've never really sat down to try to design one in any detail.)

It's potentially an elegant model, though. It gives more organisational power to the user, obviates the need for app developers to decide whether their app ought to be tabbed or not, and takes away the temptation to implement their tabs slightly differently from every other tabbed app. I'd love to see us try it out some day.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team