Gnome startup scripts?

I am working on Ubuntu 8.0.4; 64 bit version
Gnome version 2.22.1
The system froze on shutdown once and since then when I boot the, Gnome desktop fails to display the panel as I have it set up. When I log into failsafe Gnome session, all appears to work as it should. The issue seems to be with a startup script or startup scripts. Can
anyone tell me where these scripts are located, or should be located?
This problem does not occur with other users on this system.

Thank you in advance
JK