Re: Want to use hot keys using [Win] key and the like

Arrus <dreamrail_arrus <at> yahoo.co.jp> writes:

> Hello. My handle is Arrus.
>
> In Debian 4.0 (etch) with Gnome and Metacity, I want to be able to use
> it with hot key as follows.
>
> [Win] 		     The indication of the Gnome menu
> [Ctrl] +[Esc] 	     The indication of the Gnome menu
> [Win] +[D] 	     Desktop indication / return it to the origin
> [Win] +[M] 	     All windows minimization (not restored even if I
> 		     push it once again)
> [Win] +[M]+[Shift]   Return all windows minimization
> [Win] +[U] 	     The indication of the shut down dialogue
> [Win] +[Tab] 	     The right movement of the item choice in the task
> 		     bar
> [Win] +[Tab]+[Shift] The left movement of the item choice in the task
> 		     bar
>
> However, I do not understand a setting method (commands). In addition,
> the existing hot key wants to be just usable, too.
>
> In addition, there is much number of hot key that they want to set, and
> 12 are not enough.
>
> In addition, I tamper with /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/
> subordinates of gconf directly because hot key setting tool is not
> installed with Debian 4.0 (by default).
>
> I posted similar 3 Japanese and English mailing lists and Japanese
> bulletin board, but the reply was received so far.

Hi Arrus,

What you've asked can be easily done through 'Keyboard Shortcuts' or some
similar utility (I don't remember the exact name; I use XFCE) which is present
in GNOME. It has a launcher which is usually in Settings or similar sub-menu.

However, for some reason, the use of the 'Win' key has to be along with any
other keys, but not alone, i.e. the 'Win' key alone cannot be used as a
shortcut, but it can be used if you use along with another key, for eg: 'Win'
key + 'M' key, for Menu.

Zaheer.