mixer_applet2 to system tray

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get mixer_applet2 run with a freedesktop.org compliant
stand alone system tray (stalone). With gnome-power-manager and
nm-applet everything works all right, these two items happily show up
on the system tray but when I launch /usr/libexec/mixer_applet2
nothing happens.

I'm kind of confused what's an applet and what's an item for the
system tray since I was told on this list that applets work with the
panel and not the system tray. This is consistent with the fact that
/usr/libexec/battstat-applet-2 is an applet and will not work with the
system tray only the panel, gnome-power-manager on the other hand
works with the system tray. However nm-applet works with the system
tray although it's called an applet. In addition when I launch gnome,
mixer_applet2 shows up on the gnome system tray and not the panel
which made me think that I should be able to use it with any
freedesktop.org compliant system tray.

So I'm sufficiently confused as to what to expect. Is there a way to
get mixer_applet2 run with any tray?