GConf problem

Whenever I try to log into gnome, or run any gnome applications, I get
this error:

There was an error loading config from /apps/gnome-terminal/global.
(Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you
need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks
due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-michael/lock/ior' not
opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR
file '/tmp/gconfd-michael/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
located: No such file or directory))

I'm typing this from KDE.  I really hate KDE.  I'm running Gentoo, and the
past two days were spent running emerge --emptytree gnome.  I have
rebooted since then, and it still won't work.  Here's my gnome and gconf
information:

camille ~ # emerge -pv gnome gconf

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gconf-2.20.1  USE="doc -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-2.20.1  USE="cdr cups dvdr -accessibility
-esd -ldap -mono" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Can anyone help me?