Re: Desktop suddenly covered in icons for everything in my home folder

Daniel James wrote:
On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 15:43 +1100, Graeme Nichols wrote:
I did as you said but it has made no difference to my desktop even after
logging out and back in. Still covered in all the rubbish from my home
directory. I need to set the desktop to show the shortcuts that are in
my ~/Desktop directory. On F7 there was a utility, under preferences if
I remember correctly, that I could run to set this but I cannot find
anything on my F8 install.

Hmm.. very strange. The utility you had installed was very likely
gtweakui (I actually wrote it..). It will, however, do exactly the same
thing... might be worth trying though as it will definitely hit the
right key.

Just fyi, I'm on gnome 2.21 and that key does still select the right
preference.
Regards,

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I have downloaded and installed your gtweakui rpm package. It installed
on my F8 system OK. As soon as I can find where it installed to I will
run it and see what happens. Where does it install to? I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks for your help.

I hope I can get this sorted soon as it is a real pain having such a
mess on my desktop :-(

I copied across from a backup a directory called .gnome-desktop. Logging in with that dir installed brings up a pop-up with the following;

"A Link called "Link to Old Desktop" has been created on the Desktop. The location of the Desktop has changed in Gnome 2.4. You can open the link and move over the files you want then delete the link.

This is strange as F8 only has Gnome 2.20 not 2.4

Do you know the location of the Desktop directory? I thought it was in ~/Desktop. This directory certainly contains all my *.desktop files.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)