Gnome hang on logout / kill.

I am running Gnome 2.20.3 on a Gentoo machine. I just recently updated
from a previous version of Gnome (I do not remember what the previous
version was but it was at least 4 or 5 months old). I do not use a
graphical log in. I am not logging in to a remote machine, this is all
local.

Since updating, when I kill the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc, or when
I log out properly via System -> Log Out, everything disappears
(including the mouse cursor) except for the desktop background, and
then it gets stuck. I know the machine is not completely hung, because
if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del the system will shut down properly and reboot
-- although the desktop background will remain on the screen until the
reboot actually happens. When it is in this state, I can't switch to
text terminals, or do anything at all (including Ctrl+Alt+Bkspc). I've
given it at least 5 minutes to exit but it does not (I remember having
issues logging out with the old version where gconfd or something
would stay running for a long time after the gnome desktop ended -- I
do not know if this is related; that didn't cause me problems logging
out but it did cause me problems if I tried to restart gnome again too
quickly before gconfd had died).

This problem happens 100% of the time. It does not seem to be a
general X problem, because I can use other desktops and window
managers (and just X by itself) with no issues. This problem did not
happen at all before I updated Gnome.

I am not familiar enough with Gnome to know where to start looking.
What I found on Google either didn't match my description or was a
problem with remote connections. Nothing in /var/log or my user dir
jumped out at me either. What is a good starting point for
investigating? Please let me know if you need any other system
information, I'm not sure what is relevant.

Thanks,
Jason