Re: sending apps to the right place in the menu

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 3 Dec 2008, at 11:15, rosea grammostola wrote:

Hi,

I know it is possible to customize the menu in Gnome. But I am wondering if
it is also possible to send applications to a specific place in the menu?

For example, I want to add an entry in the menu called 'multimedia players'.
Is it possible to manage it so that apps like Rhythmbox, Listen etc. are
placed in the new entry when they are installed?

See <http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apc.html#adding-items>.  (You'll probably also need to read the rest of that spec too, if you're not familiar with it.)

Thank you very much!

Those .desktop files seems to play a important role in this.
To point applications to my new menu entry, should I edit the .desktop.in in the source code (tarball) of a package?

And let say I want to make a multimedia distro with some new entries for:

Midi
Recording

How do I point a specific application to that new entry in my menu?

A example of a .desktop.in I found in the Ardour source code (tarball):
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ardour
Comment=Ardour Digital Audio Workstation
Exec=ardour2
Icon=ardour2
Terminal=false
MimeType=application/x-ardour2;
Type=Application
Categories=AudioVideo;Audio;X-Recorders;X-Multitrack;X-Jack;

I think Categories specify the place of the application (Ardour) in the Menu. But How can I specify that Ardour should be placed in my new menu entry 'Recording'?

Thanks in advance,

\r