Re: Keyboard shortcuts disappearing

On 10/25/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich gmail com> wrote:
> On 10/25/07, kalin mintchev <kalin el net> wrote:
> >
> > what if you create another user and try defining those shortcuts?.
> > if that works you can replace the preference files around... change
> > owners...  stuff like that....
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what and where exactly are the preference files?  If I could look at them, that might help, although not knowing where they are will also make it difficult for me to use them....

I did some digging and found some interesting results.  The custom keybindings appear to be contained in one of three files under $HOME:

./.gconf/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/%gconf.xml
./.gconf/apps/metacity/window_keybindings/%gconf.xml
./.gconf/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/%gconf.xml

I did not succeed in locating the default keybindings that appear to be global for all users, but there are some because a user that has no custom keybindings also has none of these files.

The keybindings in the last two files (the metacity files) work.  Those in the first do not.

However, if I log in as a different user, those same keybindings all work.  I compared the files and the differences are all in the order of the entries, or just the times on those that are in the same order.

I tried killing the gnome-settings-daemon, and it respawned just fine, but the keys still don't work.

Oh, yes: the keybinding for a log-off shortcut never works.  Period.

???

mhr