Keyboard shortcuts disappearing

I have been running with Gnome 2.16 on CentOS 5.0 with what was, until today, the most recent kernel, since that kernel came out on 9/28, almost a month without any reboots (and very few logoffs).  All of a sudden, today, my lock-screen and web-browser keyboard shortcuts stopped working.  It's as if they had been disabled.  I installed the new kernel, rebooted, and the same problem persists.

All of my other keyboard shortcuts still work - I tested them.  It's just those two that are failing (plus the log out shortcut, which NEVER worked).

Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Thanks.

mhr