Saving sessions before a system shutdown

Hello everyone. I'm not sure I should be asking this question on this list, but I thought I'd try in case anyone knows something about my question. I've configured my system to shutdown at a certain hour every night (just to save a little electricity while I sleep). Sometimes I leave my gnome session logged in and I forget to logout. I like to save my session before I logout, but when the system automatically shuts down, the session is not saved and the next time I log in, all my windows are gone (except that nautilus opens one window with my home directory in it).

Does anyone think it's possible to insert some script in /etc/init.d that might save the session before a shutdown? In other words is there some way to save the session(s) (if there are more than one) just before a shutdown? I'd appreciate any pointers. BTW, I'm running gnome 2.20. Thanks for your answers.

-Jose