How to report/debug this power management problem?

Hi all,

I've got a little power management issue here, but I'm not sure whether
it's properly a GNOME bug at all and, if it is, which component I should
be reporting on. Any advice is appreciated.

My laptop (a Dell E1505) can suspend/resume properly. However, it does
not consistently suspend on lid close. As best as I can tell, the
problem occurs when the laptop was on AC power, then is unplugged, and
then has the lid closed. In this case, it doesn't appear to even try to
suspend. If I notice this, open the lid, and open up the Power
Management preference, I see that the "on battery power" tab no longer
exists. If I close the preference screen and reopen it again, the tab
reappears and the laptop will now suspend when the lid is closed.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that battery power tab doesn't
appear in the power management screen. Is that a problem with G-P-M or
is it that HAL or something else further down is losing track of the
battery? Are there any particular places I should be looking for more
helpful information?

Thanks,
Todd