A curious bug(let)

Had a problem with Evolution losing all the contact list. Wow.

However, I take monthly backups of my home directory  /home/leslie   to

/home/leslie.sep

So, I entered into user management, changed the registered home directory, to

/home/leslie.sep

And was able to export the contact list.

Then returned to user management and set the home directory back to /home/leslie

And I could not log in. (home directory is unknown).

With root, I went to the passwd file and found that gnome had registered my home directory as  /home/leslie :   (with a trailing space).

Is it a linux bug or a gnome bug?  I think the latter.

Leslie
Montreal Quebec