Open files in GUI from Command line

Here's a convenient function on OS X that I'm wondering if I can do with Gnome.

On the Mac if on the command line I type 'open .', the current directory I'm in opens up in a GUI window. Similarly 'open picture.jpg' or more generally, 'open <filename> ' will open the referenced picture or document in the GUI app of choice associated with it.

Is it possible to do the same thing from a terminal window with Gnome?

- Van