dangerous openoffice behaviour

Dear Friends at gnome,

Open office 1:2.3.0-dfsg-2 running on up to date sid -

If I open a file on a different computer on the network, the file opens, and the drop down box where is should say "default" or whatever reads "preformatted text" and there is no content.

So far, a pain.  But, then, the file on the pc where it is located becomes empty, 0 kb, so, in essence, openoffice, or vfs, or open office gtk, or whatever, eats files on the network.  Now, serious and urgent.

This occurs irrespective of extension, i e, .doc or .odt, are equally gone forever.

Since I am not a programmer, I cannot tell if the problem is OO, somewhere in the vfs mime id, or wherever.  Funny enough, the 2.1 OO has no problems, unless I update the libgmime to 2.2.11-1, so I have a feeling the problem lies in the nautilus or gnome networking or mime identification, but how, I have no clue.

Nonetheless, this is a serious, serious issue, since before I figured it out, I lost data.

I would be more likely to presume I am the only person affected if it only happened on one install, but I have tried two or three different installs, and the result is the same.

Best,
Martin

The world must construe according to its wits. This Court must construe according to the law.  -bolt