terminal disappears

Hi,

I'm an experienced C/C++ developer with a little UNIX experience years ago,
but a complete newbie to Linux and GNOME. I just installed Debian 4.0r1 with
gnome 2.14.3 and I'm having trouble with the terminal. Problem one, is that
it does not seem to run the .bash_profile script at start up. Problem two,
is that I shot myself in the foot experimenting with fixing it. I modified
some parameters in the terminal profile (I don't remember which, but I
modified some check boxes) and now it just flashes on and immediately exits
before I can undo my changes. I can get a root terminal, but not my user
terminal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lowell Thomas