Re: alt- shortcuts problem

On 11/6/07, Sergiy Kuzmenko <s kuzmenko gmail com> wrote:

> I'm using GNOME 2.18.3 on Fedora 7. Somehow all GNOME shortcuts
> involving alt key stopped working (e.g., alt-tab or alt-print).
> Application shortcuts with alt key (e.g., to going back in history in
> Firefox) work fine. If I replace the alt key with something else in
> keyboard shortcuts they start to work (e.g., alt-print -> ctrl-print)
> but changing it back to alt-whatever effectively disables the
> shortcut. Does anyone know how to make GNOME react to keyboard
> shortcuts with alt? Especially alt-tab to switch between apps, as
> there is no option in keyboard shortcuts to change it.

Seems like that your keymaps problem.
I also have some keyboard problem with my xorg.
What you see if you issue an command `xmodmap' in a terminal window?
It should contain one line like this:
   mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_L (0x7d),  Meta_L (0x9c)
if you dont see `Alt_L' or `Alt_R' , then your left Alt key or right
Alt key may not work

you can then issue this command to enable both Alt keys:
  xmodmap -e 'add mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R'