Re: Intermittand problem between Gnome and Compiz/Beryl

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 18:50 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> For a particular logon, when the latter two are used in a Gnome
> environment, and we do a switch user, something gets corrupted in
> Gnome or something does not get done on a return.

Is this actually the same issue as you posted before in the thread
"Control-Alt-F1 through Ctl-Alt=F8 no longer works for a specific
logon."?

Also, your use of the term "logon" seriously confuses me. Seems you are
using it to refer to actually different things.

> The result is a permenant error where any return from invoking a
> session via ctl-alt-f1 results in a black screen.
>
> Control-alt-backspace does not clear the error. The error is actually
> permenant. One is obliged to reboot the system in order to have the
> logon screen.

"Black screen" sounds about right to me, if there is a text based login.
Since I don't expect X running on console 1, I don't expect
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to work either.

Did you even try to switch back to the default X instead of rebooting
the machine? Ctrl-Alt-F7...

> If one then toggles between ctl-alt-f1 and back, for this particular
> logon, the black screen of death is there. What I can tell you is that
> the prompt is presented, but nothing is seen (blanked screen). Sound
> that was set to indicate logon prompt is available plays, but
> absolutely no display.

"Prompt"? As in the "shell prompt", or a virtual console login?

If I understand your description correctly, you are expecting a GDM
login. However, that is not the default on any Linux distro I have seen
so far. The typical default is to provide 6 virtual consoles (gettys)
and a single GDM.

Also, if switching virtual consoles is broken, or a particular console
doesn't work as expected, I fail to see how this would be a GNOME issue.
When you switch to console 1, you can not switch back? Smells like a
system issue to me. (hint: /etc/inittab)

  guenther