Re: GHex utility

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 23:25 -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu 7.04.  It has GHex 2.8.2 installed.
>
> I needed to change one byte in an executable.  Not being
> particularly knowledgeable about Linux, I chose 'GHex' from the
> applications menu.  And for me, this Gnome utility did not work.

[...]

> Gentlemen - this experience is not a good advertisement for Gnome.
mea maxima culpa. I haven't really touched GHex in over a year (or is
that two? or three?), so it does not keep pace with the rest of the
environment. most notably, it has rendering problems, and, as you noted,
it tends to take a trip to the place that applications go when they
segfault quite often.

now, I know that GHex doesn't run properly under latest releases of
gnome libs, however, I just can't find the time to go around fixing it,
being occupied with other things. hopefully this rant will make me take
some time for it in the near future. otoh, I am gladly accepting patches
as well. ;)

also, filing a detailed bug report in the gnome bugzilla about your
problems would be of help as well.

regards,
  jaKa

--