Re: Totem

Hello Todd,

Thank you very much for the information and the link.

I should be OK now.

Regards,

Graeme.

On 19/06/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz pobox com> wrote:
Graeme Nichols wrote:
> I am running FC6 and for the first time since I was running RH6 I
> want to play videos and audio files.

How do you survive without audio? :)

> My experience with sound and linux has been very negative so I have
> never bothered and consequently I have no knowledge of the subject.

It's not so bad.  Patents and other proprietary things make it more
difficult than it should be though.

> In FC6 Totem seems to be a front end for gstreamer and all the necessary
> gstreamer bits and pieces have been installed.
>
> Can someone please tell me which video and audio formats that Totem can
> play?

That depends entirely on what gstreamer plugins you have installed.
By default, Fedora doesn't come with any plugins that have patent or
license issues (e.g. mp3, wmv, etc)

> Which video and audio formats it cannot play and if there are
> plugins available that will enable Totem to play them?
>
> Two that I have discovered it cannot play are mp3 and wmv saying
> that possibly a plugin is needed.
>
> I cannot find any information on plugins, how to obtain them, how to
> install them etc. anywhere.

Google turns up numerous links when searching for fedora totem mp3.
Here's one that seems reasonable:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?s=b2db943185e286a3a3e7be489bd651cb&t=100206&highlight=totem+mp3

HTH,

--