Re: Nautilus find files from root

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 16:15 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> When I click on Places > Search for Files, Nautilus opens a window
> displaying /home/jjj/ as the starting point for the search. Invariably
> I want to find a file like xorg.conf. I can't remember where it is, but
> I know it sure isn't in my home directory. Trying to get the starting
> point for the search to be / is difficult because "computer" or
> "filesystem" do not appear in the options. Curiously, they do appear in
> the options for looking at files; just not in the options when
> searching.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere so I can change this behavior?

According to the man page for gnome-search-tool:

--path=PATH
        Set the text of "Look in folder" search option

You could modify the "Places > Search for Files" menu item to alter the
path as you wish, so that it would always start where you wanted rather
than in your home directory, like so:

    gnome-search-tool --path=/

I don't see a gconf key that would do what you want, but perhaps someone
who knows more about gconf can assist you in making one.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions