Re: gnome - without screensaver and system sounds ?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Takis Diakoumis wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have found this useful for xscreensaver under gnome-screensaver:
> http://philcrissman.com/2006/07/25/howto-add-your-xscreensavers-to-gn
>ome-screensaver/

Hi,

I also don't particularly like gnome-screensaver and followed the
instructions in the link above but ran into a problem trying to find
just where gnome-screensaver keeps it's themes so I can run the script.

Does anybody know where they are in F8? Which directory?

The other question of course is whether gnome-screensaver can be dumped
altogether (rpm -e gnome-screensaver) and only keep xscreensaver.

Any ideas?

I am replying to myself and perhaps helping someone else at the same
time.

The answer to the sparseness of gnome-screensaver is pretty simple as it
turns out if you are on F8.

Go to
http://www.andreas-mueller.com/mrepo/f8-i386/RPMS.updates/repoview/xscreensaver.html
and download xscreensaver-extras-gss-5.04-1.fc8.i386.rpm

This package adds all the nice xscreensaver screens to
gnome-screensaver.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)
-         Any smoothly functioning technology will have the          -
-                       appearance of magic.                         -