Re: gnome - without screensaver and system sounds ?

Hi

i have found this useful for xscreensaver under gnome-screensaver:
http://philcrissman.com/2006/07/25/howto-add-your-xscreensavers-to-gnome-screensaver/

make relevant adjustments for gentoo.

as far as the system sounds go - i don't really use them and haven't
tinkered with gnome sound related stuff since before alsa became
'standard' - and i don't really recall what i did then either. i may be
wrong here but i believe you need the gnome sound daemon running - esd.
check the prefs item under system | preferences | sound on the
gnome-menu. don't know much more about that one but i think thats at
least the right track.

hope this helps a little.

Takis