Re: Sony Vaio related gnome components

> >         Hi gnomers!
> >
> >         I have a couple of questions that are all related to laptop
> >         functionality more specifically to a Sony Vaio FZ 240 e/b.
> >         Gnome has
> >         lots of useful features and/or components which are working
> >         very well
> >         with my laptop and some others are working not so well.
> >         Normally I
> >         don't use gnome at all, only the sawfish window manager, but
> >         since
> >         gnome does a couple of things well I would like to take those
> >         components.
> >
> >         1. This vaio model has volume control buttons on the keyboard
> >         and when
> >         they are pressed a nice window appears with visual feed back
> >         to the
> >         user displaying a volume scale and the current value. The
> >         buttons
> >         actually work I can use them to set the volume level. Which
> >         gnome
> >         component is responsible for these? These are 2 issues, one is
> >         the
> >         fact that the buttons work and the second is the visual
> >         feedback.
> >
> >         2. The gnome menu has menu items for hibernation and sleep.
> >         What do
> >         these menu items actually invoke?
> >
> >         3. Gnome has power management features, there are menu items
> >         for
> >         setting what should happen when the power is low. Apparently
> >         there is
> >         the option for shutting down the machine securely if the power
> >         is
> >         critically low but this doesn't work. The machine keeps being
> >         turned
> >         on until the battery is totally flat at which point it
> >         switches off.
> >         Again, which gnome component is responsible for making this
> >         work? And
> >         what code gets really executed?
> >
> >         4. Screen brightness. There is a gnome applet as well as some
> >         menu
> >         items for controlling the screen brightness. This also doesn't
> >         work.
> >         The applet, for example, ideally should have access to the
> >         brightness
> >         but through what means? In other words in an ideal situation
> >         when this
> >         feature worked, what is the mechanism through which the screen
> >         brightness is set?
> >
> >         So what I would like to know for each of these components if
> >         it was
> >         easy to use them without running gnome. This is actually what
> >         I like
> >         in gnome, I don't have to run the whole thing usually, only
> >         the parts
> >         which I find useful.
> >
> >         Cheers,
> >         Daniel
> >

> > Wow! I never expected so much help from this friendly community! :)
>
> There
> [...]

Thanks a lot! I'll do my best, for example by copying the link again:

Brightness, hot keys, multimedia keys, resume and suspend solutions
for laptops: http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

As far as I can tell if something is advertised on mailing lists it
will never be invisible to google since they are mirrored to so many
sites.

Cheers,
Daniel