Adding new fonts

Has anyone gone through the process of adding new fonts to a recent Linux (especially RedHat/Fedora). I am looking for how to do it in the recent Xorg-based versions.

I have done this on older systems (X86Free based) and it has worked OK, but all the docs I can find are out of date and don't mention Xorg. I did the chkfontpath --add, and restarted xfs, but no luck. Since then I have rebooted the system, still no luck.

I am trying to get some additional fonts like Times New Roman into OpenOffice (yeah, I "borrowed" the ttf files from the WinXP partition on the same machine). As a check I looked at The GIMP -- on my old system installing new fonts and having them show up in The GIMP worked great, but they don't show up there either on my new FC6 system.

I would like to find the proper way to install new fonts to the entire system, but I would be willing to settle for a way to get them into OpenOffice. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jim Hartley

--
Teen Angel - a ghost story - http://teenangel.netfirms.com