adding gnome-terminal profiles automatically

Hello
I would like to add some profiles to gnome-terminal from old kde konsole desktop files. Each profile will be exactly the same as the default profile, apart from using a different custom command instead of the default shell (eg ssh joe bloggs com). I have hunted for how to do this using gconftool-2, but have only found how to change existing profiles, not *add new ones*. Could someone point me in the right direction? The end goal is to write a little bash script that can feed a list of custom commands to gconftool-2 and make a new profile for each one.
Thanks,