Re: Strange behavior from gnome apps recently

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 11:24 -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I think I'm asking the wrong questions here.

<snip/>

> As for the app behavior problem, I think it is a permissions problem
> on some configuration file somewhere, only I don't know what or where.
>  If I run as root, everything works fine.  It's only as a normal user
> that I get problems, so I'm wondering, where the settings are kept for
> gnome apps, particularly nautilus, since that seems to be the #1 place
> where I run into trouble.

i seem to be hit with amnesia. Would you please elaborate on "app
behaviour problem" ?

> ( I had my root umask set to 027 for a while for security reasons, but
> there are better reasons not to, and this may have screwed up a fair
> number of my updates.  I have fixed this so that it is only set to 027
> when I am running interactively and 022 when running rpm or yum, or
> non-interactively. )

I assume the pdf issue is reproducible only for a regular user, and not
root user ? If otherwise, this may be a bug with gnome-vfs.

Try running update below as root to update mime db. mime is used to
handle file associations.

update-mime-database -V /usr/share/mime/

--
Ritesh Khadgaray
ॐ मणि पद्मे हूँ