Re: Move panel via software?

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 17:24 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> Jonathan Brandmeyer <jbrandmeyer earthlink net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 19:41 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I dynamically switch into dual-head mode with an extended
> >> desktop, my Gnome panels are almost never on the screen I want them to
> >> be on.  Is there a way to move them under software control?
> >
> > wmctrl might be able to do what you want.
>
> Thanks, it almost works.  The pixel location numbers I specify have to
> be divided by 2 for some unknown reason, but that's not the biggest
> problem.  The biggest problem is that the other windows don't seem to
> know to stay out of the way of the moved panel.  When I drag the panel
> across, maximized windows shrink to get out of the way.  When I move
> it with wmctrl, maximized (even newly-maximized) windows end up
> underneath it.

The issue is that the "working area" is not being correctly updated when
the panel is moved by wmctrl.  Either gnome-panel needs to be patched to
correctly update the working area when moved by this method, or wmctrl
needs to be patched to allow you to control the working area through the
command line.

-Jonathan