Re: Move panel via software?

Jonathan Brandmeyer <jbrandmeyer earthlink net> writes:

> On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 19:41 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I dynamically switch into dual-head mode with an extended
>> desktop, my Gnome panels are almost never on the screen I want them to
>> be on.  Is there a way to move them under software control?
>
> wmctrl might be able to do what you want.

Thanks, it almost works.  The pixel location numbers I specify have to
be divided by 2 for some unknown reason, but that's not the biggest
problem.  The biggest problem is that the other windows don't seem to
know to stay out of the way of the moved panel.  When I drag the panel
across, maximized windows shrink to get out of the way.  When I move
it with wmctrl, maximized (even newly-maximized) windows end up
underneath it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting