Re: Where is Gnome heading?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 19:04:10 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
>Daniel Kasak wrote:
>>> Please consider embracing C#
>> I don't think so. The minute people start rewriting bits of gnome in C#
>> is the minute I jump ship.
>So you'd stick with C, even if higher-level languages were used to
>write the GUI portions of applications (such as Python with PyGTK or
>C#/Mono with GTK#)? Even when those higher-level languages make the
>applications easier to maintain and develop cool new features for? For
>the record, GNOME already includes a few major applications written in
>C#: notably Tomboy [1], F-Spot [2], and Beagle [3].

Yeah, I know and I'm still waiting for C/C++/Python implementations of
them.

> I think people are more than aware of the
>> legal minefield Gnome would be wading into by embracing a Microsoft
>> technology such as C#.
>C# is not a Microsoft technology. Sure, they were one of the initiators
>of it, but the language itself is an accepted standard (ECMA-334 [4])

Yes, the language is standardised, however the libraries are not.  Also,
"ECMA standard" sounds a lot more impressive than it really is:

 "Ecma is the inventor and main practitioner of the concept of "fast
 tracking" of specifications drafted in international standards format
 through the process in Global Standards Bodies like the ISO. Since
 1986, when fast tracking was introduced to ISO, over 75% of
 fast-tracked standards have been fast-tracked through Ecma.

 Ecma is driven by industry to meet the needs of industry, generating a
 healthy competitive landscape based on differentiation of products and
 services, rather than technology models, generating confidence among
 vendors and users of new technology."

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger.
     -- J.R.R Tolkien