Re: Where is Gnome heading?

Daniel Kasak wrote:
>> Please consider embracing C#
> I don't think so. The minute people start rewriting bits of gnome in C#
> is the minute I jump ship.
So you'd stick with C, even if higher-level languages were used to write the GUI portions of
applications (such as Python with PyGTK or C#/Mono with GTK#)? Even when those higher-level
languages make the applications easier to maintain and develop cool new features for? For the
record, GNOME already includes a few major applications written in C#: notably Tomboy [1], F-Spot
[2], and Beagle [3].

 I think people are more than aware of the
> legal minefield Gnome would be wading into by embracing a Microsoft
> technology such as C#.
C# is not a Microsoft technology. Sure, they were one of the initiators of it, but the language
itself is an accepted standard (ECMA-334 [4])

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy
[2] http://f-spot.org/Main_Page
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_(software)
[4] http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ecma-st/ECMA-334.pdf
    (This PDF is pretty big: nearly 2.5 MiB. Evince handles it pretty well, though. ^_^)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479