Re: Openinig text files with international characters in nautilus

Polonkai Gergely wrote:
Nautilus, as (as far as I know) all gnome programs use UTF-8 by default. However, maybe those files was created with a program which uses another charset, e.g one of the ISO charsets. So nautilus cannot view the name correctly, but vim can (since it uses your system-wide locale). Nautilus passes a very funny filename in this case to programs, thus it is possible that the specific program won't even start.

The best way to correct this problem is to use UTF-8 as your system-wide locale, but doing this can be a pain.

Regards,
Gergely Polonkai

This answer would make complete sense to me except that the filenames appear fine in the nautilus window (international characters and all) perfectly fine.

Also, if I open the files with gedit (from nautilus) gedit opens them fine and displays their filenames properly.

Could nautilus display the filenames properly and yet not be able to pass the filenames appropriately? Can gedit somehow "overcome" these character problems in a way that vim can't? Thanks for your answer; I will try to see what I can do about my system locale.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque