Re: Openinig text files with international characters in nautilus

José Alburquerque wrote:
I have an interesting little question. I have some text files in a folder with international character filenames (ie. the file names contain characters such as é,ñ,¡, etc.). I try to open these files with vim from nautilus. However, it seems that because of the "unusual" characters, vim cannot open the files.

If I issue the command (gvim "<filename>.txt") from a gnome-terminal (running bash), vim opens it with no problems and displays the name of the file (with the international characters) fine at the bottom. (BTW, when I open from nautilus vim shows the filename but the international characters are translated to funny characters).

I've been able to find that in the gnome-terminal the shell variable "LANG" is defined to have the value "en_US.UTF-8". If I unset this variable and attempt to vi, the filename displayed at the bottom of the vim window is again sort of "garbled" as occurs in nautilus.

This sort of leads me to believe that the LANG variable is not defined when gnome starts up but is defined in the terminal (I guess from my .bashrc).

Would anyone know how I might get nautilus to open these files correctly? I'm running GNOME 2.14 and my system starts in X mode running gdm.

I just found out that the "LANG" variable has nothing to do with this. I issued the command 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nautilus --no-desktop' which brings up a nautilus window that exhibits the same behavior. Anyone has any ideas? Much appreciate it.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque