Re: Openinig text files with international characters in nautilus

Nautilus, as (as far as I know) all gnome programs use UTF-8 by default. However, maybe those files was created with a program which uses another charset, e.g one of the ISO charsets. So nautilus cannot view the name correctly, but vim can (since it uses your system-wide locale).
Nautilus passes a very funny filename in this case to programs, thus it is possible that the specific program won't even start.

The best way to correct this problem is to use UTF-8 as your system-wide locale, but doing this can be a pain.

Regards,
Gergely Polonkai

José Alburquerque írta:
José Alburquerque wrote:

I have an interesting little question.  I have some text files in a
folder with international character filenames (ie. the file names
contain characters such as é,ñ,¡, etc.).  I try to open these files with
vim from nautilus.  However, it seems that because of the "unusual"
characters, vim cannot open the files.

If I issue the command (gvim "<filename>.txt") from a gnome-terminal
(running bash), vim opens it with no problems and displays the name of
the file (with the international characters) fine at the bottom.  (BTW,
when I open from nautilus vim shows the filename but the international
characters are translated to funny characters).

I've been able to find that in the gnome-terminal the shell variable
"LANG" is defined to have the value "en_US.UTF-8".  If I unset this
variable and attempt to vi, the filename displayed at the bottom of the
vim window is again sort of "garbled" as occurs in nautilus.

This sort of leads me to believe that the LANG variable is not defined
when gnome starts up but is defined in the terminal (I guess from my
.bashrc).

Would anyone know how I might get nautilus to open these files
correctly?  I'm running GNOME 2.14 and my system starts in X mode
running gdm.

I just found out that the "LANG" variable has nothing to do with this.
I issued the command 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nautilus --no-desktop' which
brings up a nautilus window that exhibits the same behavior.  Anyone has
any ideas?  Much appreciate it.