Re: More information in File Open/Close Dialog

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 09:52 +0100, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> Ravi S. Kumar wrote:
> > Ya, you are right a bit. If there is the only information given, date
> > created, it gives me a lot problem too. It makes my task a bit more
> > lengthy.
> > But I think those all, like permissions, owner and filesize is not
> > actually too much wanted.
> > Let me ask,
> > when you open a file, what do u look for other than the filename. :)
> > The one thing really helpful and catalytic to the user work flow would
> > be showing the thumbnails there along with filename, thumbnail/preview,
> > size, modification/creation date and permissions/owner...
> >
> > I am emphasizing the thumbnail previewing a lot. Because that really
> > accelerates our work. :)
> >
> > What do you people say about this??? Please let me know.
> >

> I agree with you. Just I didn't mind about lacking of this feature
> because it's kind of advanced. But file size I consider to be essential.
> I really don't understand why it is not included. They can get it all
> from ls. If it cannot fit in window, there are scroll bars.

The most important thing to look after the performance is Usability
factor. And Nautilus/Gnome seriously misses both.
Its slow, and it has many usability themes missing. So, maybe, what we
discussed, are in pipelines. You can put that in bugzilla for what u
want from nautilus/Gnome.
Before implementing these features, Nautilus developers have to go over
many things: like
* Not all users are Text writes.. some are image editors, some are
programmers, some do edit movies, some for fun and some for none but all

So, nautilus/Gnome developers have to find some way to give maximum
usability to these diverse users. The users mainly playing with
multimedia can enable thumbnails in their fileChooser dialog.