Re: Password management applet

dsr tao merseine nu wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:54:30AM -0500, Michael LeMay wrote:
>

>>   I am currently working on a C panel applet to satisfy these
>>requirements that makes use of the OpenSSL cryptographic library and the
>>Berkeley DB library.  I decided against storing passwords in
>>gnome-keyring because I'd like the password database to be easily
>>portable to other machines, desktops, and operating systems.  I intend
>>for this application to store all passwords, basically taking the place
>>of the GPG-encrypted file some people manually maintain, or the paper
>>sticky notes I suppose a few people still use.  I'm actually developing
>>a command-line client along with the panel applet to support this usage
>>model.
>>

>It sounds like a good idea. However, have you checked the
>licensing on OpenSSL? You might want to read
>http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
>
>-dsr-

Thanks for the tip, I had never noticed that part of the OpenSSL
license.  I personally prefer OpenSSL to GNU TLS (less established) and
Mozilla NSS (much more complex and less commonly available).  Since I
hold the copyright for all the code I've produced so far, I think this
may still work if I include the wording described in that document.  I
guess I should ask though, what are the conceivable consequences if I
make a licensing mistake somewhere?  I certainly don't want to be
responsible for any suit against Gnome. :-)