Password management applet

Dear Gnome developers,

I have not been able to find a simple password management application that satisfies my desire for convenience and security. I'm referring to an application that stores miscellaneous passwords, not the sort of passwords that gnome-keyring already stores. I personally believe that the password manager belongs in the panel, since password management is such a universal task, and since the manager must be accessible from anywhere on the desktop at any time, so that it will work with all applications that require a password, from an SSH console to a web browser to VNC.

I am currently working on a C panel applet to satisfy these requirements that makes use of the OpenSSL cryptographic library and the Berkeley DB library. I decided against storing passwords in gnome-keyring because I'd like the password database to be easily portable to other machines, desktops, and operating systems. I intend for this application to store all passwords, basically taking the place of the GPG-encrypted file some people manually maintain, or the paper sticky notes I suppose a few people still use. I'm actually developing a command-line client along with the panel applet to support this usage model.

What I would like to know now is whether other developers believe that this applet is important enough to integrate into the Gnome project. I believe this would be beneficial to mainstream users that don't have the initiative to move beyond the default collection of Gnome panel applets, and who may thus resort to insecure methods of password storage. Otherwise, if this isn't an appropriate addition, I can continue to develop it independently and make it available through my own channels. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

-- Michael LeMay

begin:vcard
fn:Michael LeMay
n:LeMay;Michael
org:University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;Computer Science
adr:;;;Urbana;IL;;USA
email;internet:lemaymd lemaymd com
title:Ph.D. Student
tel;cell:715-497-0719