Re: Metacity first window placing

Telsa Gwynne wrote:
I think metacity tries to place windows in specific places if there
is room: ie, if it doesn't overlap anything. If there is nowhere
suitable, then it starts filling up the screen with overlapping
windows, starting from the top-left.

You seem right, as far as I can see metacity puts windows in the center of the screen, if a second window of the same size wouldn't fit beside. If a window is small enough, that a second window of the same size would fit beside, it is placed so that the first and the (non-existing) second window would be centered (not exactly centered, the margin on top is a bit smaller than the margin at the bottom).

I have a 1400x1050 screen and my xterm (80x24 in chars x lines) gets placed at 132x132. It doesn't look that bad with 4 xterms (http://danielpoe.de/tmp/xterms-aside.png). But, sorry it makes absolut no sense to me!!!

Rgds,
Daniel