Re: Metacity first window placing

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:05:54PM +0100 or thereabouts, Daniel Pörsch wrote:
> Kai Weber wrote:
>  > Maybe your application remembers it's last position or opens itself
> >centered.
>
> That's the most annoying thing, because metacity seems to override the
> app-hint and places it centered, if it is the first window.
>
> You can try this with Firefox ...

What a fascinating thread. I wonder whether the perceived "no, it's
starting in the middle", "no, top-left!" is anything to do with the
size of screens?

I think metacity tries to place windows in specific places if there
is room: ie, if it doesn't overlap anything. If there is nowhere
suitable, then it starts filling up the screen with overlapping
windows, starting from the top-left.

If I open a succession of gnome-terminals. I end up with the first
four clustered next to each other in a square, but then others start
appearing in the top-left corner of the screen. But I have a 1280 x
1024 screen where you can fit four gnome-terminal windows on without
their overlapping. I don't think windows appear in the same order
on the 800x600 screen (it was cheap, okay? :))

Mozilla windows are a completely separate matter. They have always
appeared to show up in the top-left, even if there is space for
them elsewhere. I have no idea why. Thinking about it, I have
even less idea...

Telsa