Gnome doesn't close parent folders.

I've been using Gnome 2.6 with Debian Sarge for about two months now. (Before I was using Debian Woody.)

In Nautilius, when I open a directory, the parent directory's window does not close. This behaviour is new.

I know that some designer thought this made sense, and I have an open mind, so I've been trying to adapt to it.

The bottom line is, it does not work for me. I always end up with a desktop littered with folders and then have to go around closing them.

Maybe I just navigate up and down through the directory tree more than most people.

Anyway, I'd like to go back to having the parent directory go away when I open a subdirectory. I can't find an option that allows this.

Is there one?