gtkhtml / gnome-vfs issue

I need to be able to display html documents in my gtkmm application in a
window.  Gtkmm does not have any object to support this.  So I started
looking at just straight gtk+ and integrating that into the application.

It seems like libgtkhtml is the right choice.  This libraries test
directory has two example programs, 'simple' and 'testgtkhtml'.  Both are
using gnome-vfs to load the html file or uri and having gtkhtml render it
in a window.  Great!  But, both of these examples fail in a particular
situation.

The situation is when they are rendering an apache generated directory
list.  They render the directory list just fine, but the next navigation
into one of those directories fails.  The directory list is obtained by
accessing a uri such as http://node/directorylist.  This works OK.
However, when I click on a directory link in the directory list, rather
than navigating to http://node/directorylist/directory, for some strange
reason the sample application tries to navigate to http://node/directory.

I've tracked it down to the gnome-vfs processing being performed in each
of these applications.  It appears that the applications have trouble
performing the new_uri = gnome_vfs_uri_resolve_relative( baseURI, url );
step.

Now I have to admit that I know very little about gnome-vfs, gtk, and
gtkhtml, and am asking for some sort of pointers to example code that
could help me out in what's wrong with the provided examples in the
gtkhtml library and how to fix them, or a completely alternative solution
in displaying html in my applications window and being able to navigate
both local html files and web server based html files.

Any pointers, documentation leads, or specific code that works would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
        Erik.