KDE + GDM/GNOME + KDM... Can they work together?

Hi! I have been using kde for a while and gnome for a month or so. I was
wondering, how come when I use GDM and use a kde session, I don't have the
shudown/restart options. Same when I use KDM and a gnome session. I don't
know C or C++, and have no kde/gnome programming knowlege. I just think that
since both KDE and GNOME are really popular, they should at least be a little
better with each other's display manager. Would that be possible? Maybe for
KDE 4.0 or GNOME 2.12?
-Steven