Alternative to .Xmodmap in Gnome 2.6

I have a Thinkpad, and its got some special "page forward/page back"
buttons. I can use .Xmodmap to remap those keycodes to something
useful.

However, Gnome 2.6 overrides my .Xmodmap and tells me to go use the
Gnome tools to reconfigure my keyboard instead. No keyboard map exists
for my keyboard, so I can't map those keys.

I've done some googling and found a lot of people complaining about
this "feature", plenty of people hacking around it, and no real
solutions.

So whats the "correct" way to map keycodes in Gnome 2.6?

I hope in the next release the developers will elect to add an
"Advanced" tab to the keyboard configuration applet to allow users to
remap special keys.

Thanks,
--
Chris Metcalf