Re: Customizing Gnome Menu

On 01-Jul-2004 Ryan Golhar wrote:
> I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this, so I'm
> hoping someone here can help.
>
> I'm running RedHat Enterprise Linux.  I have a bunch of desktops set
> up
> for users.  I want to add a new menu to the main menu to include a
> bunch
> of apps that I've created RPMs for.  The only way I've been able to
> add
> a new menu is by modifying the existing
> /etc/X11/desktop-menus/application.menu.
>
> Is there a way I can add my own menu without modifying the
> application.menu nor by modifying individual users menus?  I thought
> that by creating a .menu and the appropriate .directory files (and
> .desktop files), that it would work, however I haven't been
> successful.

The only tip I've seen so far on doing this was to navigate in nautilus
to applications:///, than add/delete any launchers you want there.
This will only work if you're logged in as root, by the way.

Don't know how it can be done from the shell, unfortunately.

This strikes me as a glaring deficiency that needs to be addressed.
Why no simple menu editor?

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads cox net> -- "In Unix veritas"