Customizing Gnome Menu

I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this, so I'm
hoping someone here can help.

I'm running RedHat Enterprise Linux.  I have a bunch of desktops set up
for users.  I want to add a new menu to the main menu to include a bunch
of apps that I've created RPMs for.  The only way I've been able to add
a new menu is by modifying the existing
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/application.menu.

Is there a way I can add my own menu without modifying the
application.menu nor by modifying individual users menus?  I thought
that by creating a .menu and the appropriate .directory files (and
.desktop files), that it would work, however I haven't been successful.

-----
Ryan Golhar
Computational Biologist
The Informatics Institute at
The University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ

Phone: 973-972-5034
Fax: 973-972-7412
Email: golharam umdnj edu