Re: "Browse folder" as open (double click) action?

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 17:32 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Tom Wesley wrote:
> >You may be interested to know that if you either hold the shift key and
> >double click with the left mouse button, or use the middle mouse button
> >to double-click you will only keep one window open.
> >

> Ah, yes. I didn't know that, although I suspected that there would be
> such an option. One problem with this, though: It won't keep the same
> window, but open a new one *at a new location* and close the old. Farily
> annoying if you ask me; I'm getting dizzy by it all. But perhaps this
> one might be filed as a bug?

No, it is most certainly not a bug, but is the intended operation.  The
rough theory is this.  In the real world a cardboard folder containing a
set of photos will have certain physical properties, ie it may be blue
and just over A4 in size.  The whole theory of spatial nautilus extends
this to directories, so that directory or "folder" called Photos will,
for example, have a blue background, be 400x320 pixels in size at
position 100,20 until it is moved or altered.
In my opinion it does offer great consistency in some ways, but
certainly looks strange to people who have used browser style
navigation.  When I first saw the spatial mode I also hated it, switched
it off, but then go curious about what it was about.  Since then I've
grown to like it and find browsing the file system much less logical.

--
Tom Wesley <tom wesley ntlworld com>