Re: Fail to start Gnome desktop

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:13:01AM +0800 or thereabouts, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> Kindly advise how to check the corrupted settings database.  Which config
> file/files I have to check?

The trick of renaming your ~/.gnome*/ directories will check whether
this is the problem. They contain the settings in them. If personal
settings are not there, Gnome falls back to default settings. So
you can still run Gnome, but any customisations you have made to
the settings will not appear.

> Shall I rename all above "/.gnome" and /.gnome2" directories?

You don't need to do it one by one.

Just "mv ~/.gnome ~/.gnome.bak" and "mv ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome2.bak"
That will move those directories and all their contents. Then log
out, log in again, and restart Gnome.

> > If the daemon starts next time you try to login, you know where
> > to look ;-)

..ie, the problem is somewhere in the directories you moved away.
At this stage, you can move parts of them back bit by bit if you
want to narrow it down (perhaps .gnome but not .gnome2 and then
the other way around, and so on). Or you can just consider it
fixed :)

Telsa